Sarah Raughley: Feather Bound
 3 stars

When Deanna's missing friend Hyde turns up at his father's funeral to claim his corporate empire and inheritance, she is swept into his glittering world of paparazzi and wealth.

But re-kindling her friendship and the dizzying new emotions along for the ride are the least of her concerns. Because Deanna has a secret – and somebody knows. Someone who is out to get Hyde. And if she doesn't play along, and help the enemy destroy him…she will be sold to the highest bidder in the black market for human swans.

Now Deanna is struggling to break free from the gilded cage that would trap her forever…

Feather Bound is a dark debut reminiscent of Gabriel García Márquez's A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings, and the twisted truth behind the fairy tale of Cinderella.


~~~~~~

I received this book from NetGalley in exhange for an honest review.

The idea about human swans seems pretty interesting and I like the idea behind this book. But as whole, this book is not as good as I expected. It's not bad, it was nice to read, but I don't think this book was particulary memorable. I can't really pinpoint it, but something was missing. Maybe I was missing something "magical". I mean that ok, there are human swans, but what can they do? Can they fly? No. Can they maybe sing really good? No. Is there anything magical about them? No. They just are. And if you steal their feathers, they're bound to you.

There are some pieces that reminded me of Swan Lake and The Wild Swans. And I believe that the author has got at least some inspiration from them. And like the synopsis says, there are little bit of Cinderella in a mix. But I really wanted to know more about those human swans. Somekind of backstory or explanation.

There are also a lot of cliches. Poor girl, rich guy, kidnapping, dead mom, alcoholic dad, lazy sister etc.Just I think that if you don't overanalyze this book you can really enjoy it. It was pretty average, but not every book can be great. It was nice Sunday reading book.