Elizabeth Norris: Unraveling (Unraveling, #1)
 4 stars

Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died... and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.


~~~~~~
“Apparently this month is full of surprises. No one is as dumb as I thought they were.”


Does anyone remember the TV series Roswell from somewhere around 1999? That series was one of my favorites at the time and my opinion is that it still is one the best series ever. This book, and escpecially the beginning of the book reminded me a lot of Roswell. Janelle and Ben reminded me of Liz and Max and the beginning where Ben saved Janelle's life was a bit similar like when in Roswell's pilot episode Max healed Liz's gunshot wound. There are so many similar elements, that I could almost swear that the author was either consciously or unconsciously influenced by that TV series. This could also be my own imagination, but the feeling is really, really strong.

I wasn't very excited about this book when I started reading, but this book's been in my tbr-list for a long time, and my goal this year is to shorten that list and read as many books as possible from that list. I was between 3 and 4 start a long time and my real opinion would probably be 3.5, but I'm gonna round it up, so 4 stars. The was not bad, but it wasn't great either. It was well written, but it reminded of lot of Roswell. Bit too much maybe. I loved that series, but this seemed a little like copying it. And there was something missing. For some reason, something just didn't "click".

The ending was absolutely heartbreaking, but I kinda liked it. On the other hand, the story was complete, but there is still possibility of next book. And I know there is another book. I'm going to read it, even though this book did not make it to my favorites, 'cos it sounds more promising than this one, at least based on summary it seems really interesting. But my conclusion about this book is that it was nice, and probably many will really like it, but for me something was missing. It wasnät complete waste of my time, but I could've live with myself even if I hadn't read this at all. Sometimes I really regret when I hadn't read some book before, but this time I didn't feel like I'd missed anything important.

(tbr-list 14/200)