Sometimes even I need a little break from vampires and werewolves and stuff and when that happens, I have few favourite authors whose books I like to read. And the honor this time goes to Mary Higgins Clark. She is one wonderful lady. Some of you may know her, she's written so many books that it's almost miracle if haven't heard of her. She is the murder queen. She is Queen of Suspence.
She's been writing since the 70's I think. I think I (and my mother) own about 20 of her books. Maybe more. So there are lots of her books that I haven't read. This time my "escape-from-fantasy" book is...

Mary Higgins Clark: Where Are You Now? (2008)

It has been ten years since twenty-one-year-old Charles MacKenzie Jr. ("Mack") went missing. A Columbia University senior, about to graduate and already accepted at Duke University Law School, he walked out of his apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side without a word to his college roommates and has never been seen again. However, he does make one ritual phone call to his mother every year: on Mother's Day. Each time, he assures her he is fine, refuses to answer her frantic questions, then hangs up. Even the death of his father, a corporate lawyer, in the tragedy of 9/11 does not bring him home or break the pattern of his calls.

Mack's sister, Carolyn, is now twenty-six, a law school graduate, and has just finished her clerkship for a civil court judge in Manhattan. She has endured two family tragedies, yet she realizes that she will never be able to have closure and get on with her life until she finds her brother. She resolves to discover what happened to Mack and why he has found it necessary to hide from them. So this year when Mack makes his annual Mother's Day call, Carolyn interrupts to announce her intention to track him down, no matter what it takes. The next morning after Mass, her uncle, Monsignor Devon MacKenzie, receives a scrawled message left in the collection basket: "Uncle Devon, tell Carolyn she must not look for me."

----

The idea behind this book was pretty mush the same as in all Mary Higgins Clark books. Young wealthy well-educated woman with a mystery. This time it's missing brother. There are also some romance (like always) and as usual he is an old "friend". Well, her brother's friend. All the usual elements are there.

The book was book as always and as always I didn't have clue about the bad guy. There was few times when I suspected, but I wasn't sure. I read this book in finnish, so I don't if it was the translation or if this book really wasn't as good as usually they are. The writing was sometimes "clumsy". I don't know better word for it. It could have been that there was just lousy translator.

I've read a lot of her books and usually I really enjoy them. But this one... I don't know. I just felt tired. It felt like every book is the same. This time it didn't work. It just felt old. Everything was old news. I'm sorry, but couldn't she invent something new for a change.

Sorry, but I really was kinda disappointed with this book. I've liked Higgins Clark's book for years and I don't know why I didn't like this one.